Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Low/no sugar Banana muffins!

banana muffina, banana bread, sugar free banana bread, sugar free banana muffins,

 

Since being diagnosed as diabetic, … I miss cake the most.

It is by far the food I love the most on earth. If

I were on death row and was given a last meal, I would

ask for a huge cake with loads of frosting! 

As a result I have turned my kitchen into a test

kitchen, and my family the guinea pigs!

I have found that muffins help with my cake cravings

and so far they have been the easiest to make low sugar

versions. One of my favorites is banana muffins.

My family LOVES these so I make them in bulk and

freeze them which saves me loads of time and keeps

my cravings at bay. Best part, they do not reek havoc

on my blood sugar!

 

frozen bananas

 

Tip # 1 for super moist banana muffins (regardless of recipe):

Use previously frozen bananas, the uglier the better!

Tip# 2 for super moist banana muffins:

Use one more banana than the recipe calls for.

Tip# 3 for super moist banana muffins:

add 2-3 tbs. of maple syrup (I used sugar free of course)

 

Trust me and try the tips.  I have been making banana bread for years

and tons of people ask me how I make it so moist and yummy!

IMG_2337

 

Tip #4 for super moist banana muffins:

mix by hand and do not over mix your bananas

your bananas do not need to be creamed into oblivion.

IMG_2339

Since I use a lower fat option too at times,

I spray my liners with a little oil so they don’t stick.

IMG_2342

My go-to topping is chopped walnuts mixed with

2-3 tablespoons of brown sugar. LIGHTLY

sprinkle this topping over each muffin.

This gives me the idea that I am eating something

really naughty without the guilt and consequence!

 

Try this recipe and I promise you will not be disappointed!

 

Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Home cookbook

 

Banana Muffins:

1 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

2/3 cup Splenda (or other sweetener of your choice)

2 tbs. sugar (this is needed to help the bread rise better)

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

3 medium RIPE bananas

1/3 cup butter or sub with applesauce for less fat

2 tbs. sugar free maple syrup

2 tbs. Milk

2 eggs

* topping: 1 cup chopped walnuts mixed with 2-3 tbs. brown sugar.

Preheat oven to 350

mash bananas and add all wet ingredients mix and set aside.

Mix all dry ingredients then fold in your wet ingredients.

spray muffin liners and pour batter to 3/4 of the way full.

sprinkle topping and bake 30-40 minutes or until

toothpick comes out clean.

 

 

Eating Healthier does not have

to mean dry and tasteless!

Best Blogger Tips Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment